Gerard A. Malanga, MD
Board Certified in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (Physiatry), Sports and Pain Medicine with a fellowship from the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN, Dr. Malanga is a renowned specialist in nonsurgical treatment of a variety of orthopedic injuries such as neck/back pain, shoulder/knee and other musculoskeletal disorders. Dr. Malanga lectures throughout the United States and internationally on a variety of sports medicine, spine, orthopedic and pain management topics. He provides sports medicine services to several local NJ high school and colleges and has served as the head team physician of New Jersey City University since 1999. He also serves as a consultant to the Rutger’s University Athletic Department. His Practice includes the treatment of athletes from recreational to the College, Olympic and Professional levels. Dr. Gerard Malanga recently co-authored The Atlas of Ultrasound-Guided Musculosketal Injections textbook which is a comprehensive text on ultrasound guided injections of the Musculoskeletal system and contributes regularly to SpineUniverse.com.
Awards and Achievements
- “Top Doctor” in the New York Metro Area; NJ Monthly Best Doctors in New Jersey, New York Magazine, Inside Jersey and Best Doctors in America since 2004
- 2011-2013 Compassionate Doctor and Patient’s Choice Awards
- Published two textbooks “Whiplash” and “Scientific Evidence of Musculoskeletal Physical Examination as well as over 60 articles and 25 book chapters regarding various musculoskeletal issues
- Professor at the Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation UMDNJ
- Invited Speaker and Instructor at 2016's meeting of the American Institute of Ultrasound Medicine held at the world-famous Andrews Institute for Orthopedic and Sports Medicine in Gulf Breeze, Florida (May 19-22, 2016) where he spoke on “Ultrasound-Guided Injections of the Knee”
- American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (AAPM&R)
- American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM)
- International Spinal injection Society (ISIS)
- American Society of Interventional Pain Physicians (ASIPP)
- North American Spine Society (NASS)
- International Cellular Medicine Society (ICMS)
- International Cartilage Repair Society (ICRS)
- American Institute of Ultrasound Medicine (AIUM)
- American Academy and Board of Regenerative Medicine (AABRM)
Published Articles and Books
- "Response to: Rho et al.“Deconstructing Chronic Low Back Pain in the Older Adult-Step by Step Evidence and Expert- Based Recommendations for Evaluation and Treatment. Part VIII: Lateral Hip and Thigh Pain”, was published in Oxford University Press.
- Degenerative Lumbar Disc Disease in the Mature Athlete via Medscape.com
- Does Insurance Provide Significant Benefits to Patients?
- Low Back Pain Relief and Pneumatic Vest Use via SpineUniverse.com.
- Sitting Disease and Its Impact on Your Spine via SpineUniverse.com and the February 1st SpineAdvisor.
- Lumbosacral Radiculopathy article via Medscape.com
- Cervical Radiculopathy article via Medscape.com
- Sports Medicine 2e: Study Guide and Review for Boards 2nd ed. Edition, a highly regarded book on Sports Medicine, has a chapter by Dr. Malanga concerning Regenerative Medicine in Sports Medicine.
- Orthobiologic Interventions Using Ultrasound Guidance Article in the August 2016 issue of the Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Clinics of North America journal.
- Dr. Malanga's textbook, Atlas of Musculoskeletal Ultrasound-Guided Injections, is one of the top 5 McGraw-Hill first editions of the last 5 years.
- Dr. Gerard Malanga recently received a certificate from the publishers of the journal of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, stating that his article “Outcomes After Ultrasound-Guided Platelet Rich Plasma Injections for Chronic Tendinopathy: A Multicenter, Retrospective Review” was one of the five most highly cited papers in the journal of PM&R during 2014 and 2015.
- Dr. Gerard Malanga's co-authored book, Musculoskeletal Physical Examination: An Evidence-Based Approach, is now in it's second edition.